“So, can a Quartz watch get magnetized?”
Before we answer this question, it would be wise to first understand the basics and workings of the watch.
Quartz movement uses a tiny magnetic stepper motor that comprises a coil which creates a magnetic field.
It doesn’t feature a wheel, rotor, or hairspring that is found in mechanical and automatic timepieces.
Will it be affected by magnetism?
The quartz movement can be affected by magnetism.
When exposed to a magnetic environment, such as being near a handbag, body scanner, speaker, tablet, phone, headphones, refrigerator, ac motor, laptops…., the watch will move much slower due to the increased magnetic force.
However, when it’s pulled away from the device, it should start running normally without suffering any internal or permanent damage.
Quartz watches are less susceptible to magnetism in comparison to automatic and mechanical watches.
This is due to fewer metallic and moving parts and the fact that the quartz doesn’t retain the magnetism unlike other types of movement.
Also, the motor is found deep inside the core and most top pieces have a casing that is more resistant.
Digital quartz seems to fare better when compared to analog types.
What to do when you suspect the watch is magnetized
As earlier stated, the watch will return to normal once it’s removed from the magnetic environment.
It will run normally and there is no need for further action besides setting it.
Users are however discouraged from demagnetizing the watch since the process may damage the accessory.
If need be, you should take it to a professional.
Tip to find out if the watch is magnetized
A slow-moving or stuck watch isn’t conclusive evidence that the timepiece is magnetized.
It may also be due to a failing battery or internal damage.
A good way to find out is by placing the watch next to a traditional non-electric compass.
If the needle moves around when the watch is near and then stops when it’s pulled away, the watch is probably magnetized.
Quartz watches rarely get magnetized.
However, if you suspect it is, then you should take it to an expert and not attempt to demagnetize it yourself.